Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Shalom and it's 'Deets'

Shalom is finished and I love it.

Here are a couple of 'on the bed' shots. The buttons are placed, but not yet sewn.
The overall shot and

the yoke closeup shot.

Of course the proof is in the fit. So here are the modelled shots.

I hope you all noticed the 'cute' touch on the buttons. After sewing them on with regular thread, I pulled one loop of yarn through the hole and tied it at the front for the 'tied quilt' look. I'm not quite sure if I think it cute or hoky. I'll leave it for a few days and then decide.

So here are the details.
Pattern: Shalom by Meghan McFarlane. Her blog is involvingthesenses
Yarn: Vienna by Naturally

Fibre - 67% Wool, 33% Acrylic
Gauge: 20 stitches over 4 inches
Needles: 4.5mm

Mods: The pattern is written for a 32 inch garment. One size only. I wanted a 38 inch garment, so multiplied my gauge ( 5 sts/in) by 38 to get my total body stitches.

Starting at the top, I took the number of stitches given in the pattern and divided that number by pattern-gauge per inch to determine the recommended neck circumference. I then determined how many stitches that would be in my gauge and cast on that number of stitches. About 100 I think.

Overall, I had to convert the pattern to my gauge, so I used this handy dandy formula to make that change . A bit of math but everything worked out.

The yoke of Shalom, I knit by hand, the body I knit on the machine. It's a 'fusion' garment.

My Shalom has zero ease and no waist shaping. The zero ease I did because I wasn't sure I wanted negative ease on an 'over' garment. The waist shaping I didn't do, because I was lazy.

The yarn is great. It feels comfortable to wear, cozy and warm. Of course my opinion might be tempered by the fact that I purchased this yarn at a 50% discount.

I'd give this knit a high rating. Nice yarn. Great pattern. Good fit. Trendy style. I'd make it - or a version of it - again.










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brenda, your Shalom sweater looked great. I thought the yarn was a good choice for the pattern.