Monday, March 14, 2011

A Win And A Loss

After watching w-a-y too much TV last week, trying to push Team Ontario to victory, my socks are done.  Sadly, Ontario  lost the championship game to Manitoba.  No Brier title for Glenn Howard, yet again.  Big loss.

The socks, nonetheless, are a win.
 
They are a 60 stitch sock knit on 2.25 mm  needles.   Proof positive that lace expands. 2.25mm needles are my preferred needles for socks.  They knit a nice tight fabric to make a great fitting sock.  

Normally though, with only 60 stitches, I would use a larger needle.  Most often  2.75mm.  Conversely, if knitting on the 2.25 mm needles, the socks would have 64 or  even 68 stitches.  But due to lace's holey, stretchy nature, I have a sock that fits me with only 60 stitches and a 2.25 needle. 

Knit with Kroy sock yarn purchased for me  by a  friend at the Listowel Tent Sale and costing me all of $2, I like these socks.  The pattern is Chevron Lace. One of the 'Variations On Fancy Socks' found on page 39 of my book, Need A Sock?.  Because Chevron Lace is a six-stitch pattern, I wanted a six-stitch ribbing which would flow nicely into the lace pattern and chose  example number two of the three given in the book.  That is P1, K4, P1

Conversely - or perversely - these lace patterns which would seem to be a more time-consuming knit, actually knit up more quickly than plain old stockinet.  It happens like that  for me because of the grouping of rows.  Four rows to a repeat and I don't allow myself to  stop knitting until a repeat is finished.  When ready to abandon knitting for those mandatory tasks like dinner prep or laundry, one more row becomes one more repeat.  Four rows.  And the sock is done faster than you might imagine.

Sorry about your luck,  Glenn, but I've got a pair of winner socks.    



3 comments:

freshisle said...

Winner socks is right. Very nice.
Yes, too bad for the Ontario rink. Bridesmaids again.

Sel and Poivre said...

Ooooo I wish we could see the lace socks on feet so the lace was all stretched out...could we? Please?

Laurie said...

Yup, definitely a win. I'd love to see them "on the foot" so the lace is visible.

What happens when curlers lose? Do they uncurl? ;-) And if one synchronized swimmer drowns, do they all have to drown?