Once I realized my sizing was way off, I looked for a different pattern. Thank goodness, I suppressed my knitterly denial on this one, otherwise I would have finished the sweater, not simply the yoke. Not to be fussy, but I decided to look for a pattern with the same gauge of yarn as mine and a pattern sized for a child, not an adult.
That took a few hours of
In the end I settled on Morgan's Cardigan from Teens & Tweens. It is definitely for a child and is 'close' to the same gauge as mine. Using a slightly larger needle, I think I can make it work.
Searching a bit early for that charm - after all it was only the second attempt - I cast on.
It's a top down pattern, with the cast on being at the edge of the collar. Ingeniously, the cast on is done with a much larger needle to give the collar enough fabric to turn without resistance or rolling. I remembered the larger needles but managed to work about 2 inches of the collar, before I realized I was working the wrong size. Abi is bigger than the doll-sized sweater previously started, but at nine, she sure doesn't have a 40 inch chest. Rip!
Third time's - well still not so charming. I was only into the collar by an inch this time when I realized I had forgotten to cast on with the larger needle. Rip.
Fourth time's - well, just too late at night after a tiring day to be correct. Rip.
Fifth time's on the needles now