Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I Modify

Reading today's title, you might think  I am  about to conjugate a verb. I modify, You modify, He modifies - Remember those days?  But no.  I have started a sweater.  A modified sweater.

For a few years now, I have owned the 'sharpest' winter skirt.  Black, boiled wool with purple trim.  Since purchasing  the skirt, I have searched for the perfectly-colour-matched, purple yarn to knit a coordinating sweater.  Last spring I found it.  Lion Brand Lamb's Pride.


Since purchasing the yarn, I have roamed ravelry searching for the perfect pattern.  I narrowed it down to three, Miette, this Drops pattern and the winner, Vignette  by Amy Herzog, found on Knitty.com.

Before even starting though I knew I would modify.  Vignette has a 10 stitch-wide panel of K1, P1 ribbing running horizontally around the bottom of the sweater.  There isn't anything I like running horizontally around my bottom.  Modification #1- change the trim.  My first try was a hem.  Whenever I knit a cable or lace pattern I prefer the vertical line of the cable/lace to flow all the way to the bottom of the sweater without interruption by ribbing or trim.  That thinking lead to my first modification attempt.  A hem.  Choosing sock weight yarn - finer than the Heavy Worsted  sweater yarn so the hem wouldn't be too thick - I started the left front.  Only an inch or so into the sweater I realized that a hem wouldn't work.  The first few lace 'holes' were blocked opaque by  the interior hem - in my case a hem of  contrasting colour. Rip.

Then, it occurred to me, that at least over the 16 lace-panel stitches,  perhaps I could omit a bottom trim altogether.   After all the panel was  already a combo of knits and purls, so no curling should occur.  The first nine stitches of the front piece is a built in button band of K1, P1 - no extra ribbing required there. All that would remain would be to knit the same K1, P1 ribbing  under the stockinet section of the front.    So that is how I have started the sweater. 

Modified.  Past tense.    Future tense to occur before completion, I'm sure.


 

3 comments:

Sel and Poivre said...

I am with you on the horizontal stuff across the "a hem" sections (if you know what I mean!) I sometimes think some aspects of some knit patterns are just more for the knitter's amusement than in the best interests of the wearer!

LynS said...

I'm always very interested to read of your 'can do' response to knitting. I seem either to just respond immediately to a pattern and knit it rather unthinkingly or spend ages agonising over just what is the perfect pattern (and often not finding it). So I love reading about how you see the pattern as a starting point only and then modify, modify, modify. I look forward to seeing the outcome.

Yarn and Ivories said...

I am, she am... We am! We am modifying! Heehee. Love the color.