Friday, March 23, 2012

This Is More Like It

Struggling along, sloth-like, on my CTD was really damaging to my knitting mojo.  By comparison, my Debbie Met Sally summer cardi is a mojo booster.  I am, in a few short days, about three inches  past the great divide of sleeves and body.   It feels great to be knitting a 'speed-a-long'.
 
The cardi is totally garter stitch - with a twist. Although the trim is normal garter stitch, worked on a 3.75mm needle,  you can see that is is different than the garter stitch of the body.
 
Using circular, interchangeable needles, the body is being worked with a   3.75 mm pin at one end,  but a 6.5mm pin at the other end.  This gives the fabric a loose, open, stretchy appearance.  Once blocked and with  the full weight of the sweater lending it's gravitational forces to the fabric, I think it will be quite ''lacey''.  Perfect for my mid-April, New Orleans, wedding ensemble.

I have chosen to put three buttonholes  at the base of the V-Neck and let the rest of the sweater swing open.
 
That will offer a nice reveal of my Aunt-Of-The-Bride dress,   that at the moment is just a bolt of  fabric on my table.

I also chose to use the easy peasy, yarn-over, increase method.
 
 It's holey-ness is a great accompaniment to the light-weight, summery  look I'm hoping to achieve.

My only apprehension stems from the amount of yarn I have.  This is stash yarn and I have only  five balls.  So far, I have used the better part of two balls. Three to go.  I am hoping to get the sweater to at least waist length.  Short sleeves will do for summer, so the fingers are crossed.

5 comments:

Sandra said...

The foramt of the sweater (using the one larger needle) will really help with the length. The weight of it (and maybe a little gentle blocking help) will give you added length.
The two needle size system is a great idea.

LaurieM said...

Danger knitter!

Sel and Poivre said...

Oh how lovely and perfectly springy! Do we get a peek at the Aunt of the Bride fabric? Please pretty please!

Deb said...

Looks really great!

freshisle said...

So fast! And so pretty!