Wednesday, March 31, 2010

In My Spare Time

Working at the yarn store, offers all sorts of opportunities.

Like a couple of weeks ago when a customer came in with the un-assembled strips of a 6-years-in-the-making, lap-sized afghan. The sewing up had her baffled and so the afghan had been sitting in the closet for 6 years. That is one serious finishing issue.

We talked about the best way to put it together, but since I am not an afghan-girl I am not sure my advise was all that 'expert'. In the end, it was decided to crochet the strips together with a contrasting yarn. An interest-adding feature in blue to match the decor.
The only problem being, the customer didn't crochet. My choices were to try to teach an unwilling ("I just want the darn thing finished and out of my closet") student or to do it for her. I chose the latter.

I often say that I am not an afghan kind of girl and I would further clarify that by saying that I am especially not this kind of an afghan, afghan-girl. By that I mean, the type of afghan I see as 'My Grandma's Afghan'.

However, having finished it, I must admit, it has a special kind of heart-warming appeal.
The knitting is flawless, the design interesting and it will warm a lap for years to come, I'm sure.

I hope she likes it.

2 comments:

Sel and Poivre said...

How could she not like it? Its finally finished and you did a great job for her and...you have a pool table? You really do live in paradise up there! If I had a pool table I don't think I'd get any knitting done!

Laurie said...

Nice finishing job! That afghan, though...looks like weird little military formations of moths just waiting to take off... LOL!