Friday, November 18, 2011

Ombre At Last




Need I say more?  Probably. 

Pattern - Ombre by Tanis of Tanis Fiber Arts.
Needles - 4mm
Yarn- Two skeins of Centolavaggi Lace Weight  held double throughout.  Two strands of the light colour at the top, one strand of each colour in the middle and two strands of the dark colour at the bottom.  
 I purchased the yarn on sale at KW Knitters Fair for $10 a skein,  so a very reasonable sweater.

The folding seed stitch border has been blocked into submission.  (You can still see the blocking pin indentations  along the border)  The fit is lovely.     I hate sweaters that are loosey goosey  under the arms - I've got enough loosey goosey things happening under my arms, I don't need sweaters like that too -   but this one fits closely.  I like it.  The only modification I made was to do a few increases as I approached the hip area to ensure  the sweater and I were the same shape.

Weighing only 140g, this is certainly a light-weight sweater.
 
Good in many ways, but I'm wondering how warm it will be.  Winter will tell.   If I were to knit it a second time,  I might use  lace-weight Mohair  for one of the yarns, to increase the warmth factor.

Taking nearly two months to complete,  the knitting of Ombre  seemed slow.   It wasn't so much the   teeny, tiny yarn but more the two strands at once.  The two, light strands weren't bad.  The one strand of each colour wasn't bad either. But the two strands of the dark yarn on the lower third was frustrating. Whether it was the darker colour, or end-of-project  fatigue I'm not sure.  But  many times, I  caught only one strand and so frequently found myself having to drop  down stitches to grab the second strand. 

Frustration behind me now, I love it.  The fit, the graduating colours and the style.  Tanis of course has her Ombre buttoned top to bottom.  But Tanis weighs what I did 40 years ago.  I did knit buttonholes but they are so small as to not be noticeable and my intentions are to wear Ombre a few times before deciding if I want buttons.

This is a very happy start to my weekend.   I hope all your knitting goes well this weekend.

ETA - I forgot about a major modification until I looked up  other Ombres on ravelry.  I eliminated the ribbed bottom, substituting it for a seed stitch border to match the button bands.  Much better for my non-Tanis-type bottom.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

it looks perfect..well done

Sharon said...

sorry i am not anonymous..your sweater looks really great can wait to see it done

Sandra said...

very nice! and good for you for showing that border who's boss!

Sel and Poivre said...

Tanis weighs what I did when I was three years old...big boned, my mother said I was.

But that is beside the point...that sweater is fabulous!

I think a nice knitted skirt would go perfectly with too! ;)

I hope you and your new knit have a great weekend together! Congratulations on getting finally over the finish line!

Crazy Knitting Fool said...

The sweater looks great on you.

Unknown said...

Beautiful job! I love seeing this FO, it's exactly what I had envisioned for this pattern. Have a great weekend, and enjoy your new sweater, it looks great on you!
-Tanis

Needles said...

Smokin' hot!

Anonymous said...

Hi Brenda! I had a good laugh at your picture of the actual scale weighing your sweater. I hope you know that most people don't use those to weigh sweaters! LOL! Love, Kim oxox p.s. it is a really nice sweater...looks good on you!