Before the front bands could be tackled though, the steek had to be cut. I have cut a few steeks in my time and I have come to favour the crocheted steek. For some reason - one I cannot fathom - unlike the sew & cut steek, there are no untidy, fraying ends with a crocheted steek. Once cut, it is done, ends are tidy and the whole thing lies cooperatively flat.
Here you see my approach to the steek. I had knit 5 extra stitches at the centre front of the sweater to be used for the steek. In the case of Scottish Sweatrrr I knit those stitches in seed stitch. Somewhere I had heard that seed stitch forms a denser fabric, less likely to give grief once cut. But I wouldn't use it a second time. It is more difficult to "see" the stitches to be crocheted in seed stitch where the first is a knit and the next a purl. Stockinet steek stitches will be what I use on my next steel.
Initially, I basted up the centre stitch of the 5 steek stitches.
Next I crocheted up one side and down the other side of that basted stitch.
Once both columns are crocheted the entire length of the front steek, then I cut.
Once Scottish Sweatrrr had become a cardi, using a needle slightly smaller than the one used for the body, I picked up stitches for the front button band at a ratio of 3 for 4 in a 2X2 rib. I made sure I finished with 3 of a kind at the top, as one stitch will be lost to the viewer when the stitch for the neckline trim are picked up. Years and years of doing otherwise has taught me that lesson.
At the moment, one band is knit, the second started and the end is in sight.