Monday, June 7, 2010

All Baby, All The Time

If I was 30 years younger, I might think my knitting was trying to tell me something. I am on a great baby kick.

First, I tried Elizabeth's 'Good 2-Needle Garter Stitch Slipper With Cuff' from both Knitting Without Tears and The Opinionated Knitter.

They were s-o-o-o cute, I went on to the Baby Bonnet, also found in The Opinionated Knitter and shown here on the only baby-sized head in our house.

The bonnet, like most of EZ's designs, is one-piece construction. This one, shaped with decreases. Starting at the front - that is the forehead portion of the bonnet - a shaped headband is knit. Then stitches are picked up along the back edge of the band and decreased away to cover the back of the head.
It reminds me of the bonnets worn by Laura Inglis Wilder from Little House On The Prairie. I felt a definite connection with Grandma's of yore as I knit it. That, my knitting friends, pleased me beyond any 21st century reasonableness. What can I say?

Now I have started this.
Recognize that pattern?
It's adult version has seen much hype on blogs and ravelry this past couple of years. It is The February Baby Sweater from the Knitters Almanac. Knitting it in a size to fit me has been tempting, but I can't get past the chain mail armour look of the garter stitch yoke. A baby, though, knows nothing of fashion for the medieval 'knight in shining armour' so while I'm still on my baby kick - and still have some Patons Astra yarn left - I am completing my layette.

Who's baby this knitting is destined for, I have no idea. But I will be ready when the baby announces it's arrival.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

When I first started knitting, I was addicted to making baby things. Luckily, I was in my 20s, and I knew lots of people having babies. However, the baby-knitting fever lasted for quite a while, and I ended up unpacking my last baby doll, cleaning her up, and dressing her in my projects. Fun!