Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Discouraging News Times Two.

Our weatherman does not know his Metric from his Imperial.  Metric and Imperial are two systems of  measurement very different from each other.  Canada is a metric nation.  Last night the weatherman predicted 2 - 4 centimetres  of snow.  With 2 1/2 centimetres equalling one inch  we were expecting an overnight snowfall of somewhere between 3/4 of an inch and almost 2 inches.  Instead we got this.

That looks like an Imperial 4 to me. 

 
I could probably cope with that one disappointment but today I have two.  Yesterday I posted that my gauge on the summer cardi currently on my needles was 12 sts over 4 inches.  Turns out, I too have trouble with measurements.  For fun, last night,  I tried on the cardi.  Gosh it seemed tight.  I double checked  the gauge, once, twice,  then again and again.  Turns out I have 16 sts/4in.

Unfortunately the cardi was being knit to the wrong gauge.  It is definitely too tight.  My options are to carry on and forever wear it while constantly tugging at it -  or -  to start over.  Guess I'll do the latter.

While it hurts to give up on 12 out of a required 23 inches of knitting,
 


 it does seems as if time is on my side.


7 comments:

Sel and Poivre said...

Yessss. Just got back from an hour trudging through it with "M. LeBlanc". Nice eh?

Sandra said...

That looks a lot like our deck - I. Am. Not. Happy.

Anonymous said...

Thought I'd make you drool...we had 75 degrees Fahrenheit(almost 24 Cel)and the Magnolias,Forsythia and Springtime Bulbs are in full show here in New England!
Sorry about your sweater gauge,though.That is so frustrating.

Linda said...

Structurally, this entry is beautifully written, from the critique of the weatherman to the final, um, cold conclusion to frog and redo the shrug. I'm sorry about the returned cold but I salute the lesson to take the time to knit a garment that fits.
Oy, when will I ever 'get gauge'?

Anonymous said...

LOL.. I spoke too soon! I woke up to snow this morning and had to scrape the ice off my windshield..one can never tell in New England. I take it back,Brenda! LOL
teresa_a

Brendaknits said...

Ha Ha, Teresa, What was it Mark Twain said about New England weather? "If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a minute?"

Brendaknits said...

Thanks for the nice coompliment, Linda.