For a few years now, I have owned the 'sharpest' winter skirt. Black, boiled wool with purple trim. Since purchasing the skirt, I have searched for the perfectly-colour-matched, purple yarn to knit a coordinating sweater. Last spring I found it. Lion Brand Lamb's Pride.
Since purchasing the yarn, I have roamed ravelry searching for the perfect pattern. I narrowed it down to three, Miette, this Drops pattern and the winner, Vignette by Amy Herzog, found on Knitty.com.
Before even starting though I knew I would modify. Vignette has a 10 stitch-wide panel of K1, P1 ribbing running horizontally around the bottom of the sweater. There isn't anything I like running horizontally around my bottom. Modification #1- change the trim. My first try was a hem. Whenever I knit a cable or lace pattern I prefer the vertical line of the cable/lace to flow all the way to the bottom of the sweater without interruption by ribbing or trim. That thinking lead to my first modification attempt. A hem. Choosing sock weight yarn - finer than the Heavy Worsted sweater yarn so the hem wouldn't be too thick - I started the left front. Only an inch or so into the sweater I realized that a hem wouldn't work. The first few lace 'holes' were blocked opaque by the interior hem - in my case a hem of contrasting colour. Rip.
Then, it occurred to me, that at least over the 16 lace-panel stitches, perhaps I could omit a bottom trim altogether. After all the panel was already a combo of knits and purls, so no curling should occur. The first nine stitches of the front piece is a built in button band of K1, P1 - no extra ribbing required there. All that would remain would be to knit the same K1, P1 ribbing under the stockinet section of the front. So that is how I have started the sweater.
Modified. Past tense. Future tense to occur before completion, I'm sure.