Wednesday, October 28, 2009

In My Opinion

In my opinion, nobody compares to Elizabeth Zimmermann. Sally Melville ranks a close second, but EZ is number one in my opinion. For inspiration, for making it all seem do-able, for classic, last-forever garments, you can't beat EZ.

So why I hesitated so long in buying the one book of hers that I didn't yet own, I don't know. But now I own them all. The memorial edition of The Opinionated Knitter is now mine.

My first glance was - 'I've seen it all before.' That doesn't matter, though. One doesn't buy EZ for 'new' designs. But closer inspection has me in love all over again. Sure, many of the patterns I've seen in her other books. But the updated colour photos - of her grand kids,I think - are marvellous. EZ's writings and diary excerpts are marvellous. The patterns that I've not previously seen are marvellous.

The book closes with (according to Meg) just a small portion of the memorial tributes received by the family following EZ's death. There are five !! five!! pages.

Near the end of the book, Meg states that the family had no idea that their wife, Mother, Grandmother, Great Grandmother was also a 'knitting mother' to so many knitters around the world. And so she was. Reading her books provide the warm and generous comfort of a Mother's encouragement.

In my opinion, that's not likely to be found in many places. It's a wonderful book.

1 comment:

Sel and Poivre said...

I haven't yet read Opinionated Knitter - I've only read a couple of her books but you nailed it on EZ's "making it all seem doable"!