Tuesday, September 2, 2008

To Market

For some, today was the first day of school. For me, it was 'go to market day'.

About a half hour's drive from home, in a little town village hamlet crossroads, called Keady, there is a wonderful farmers market. Keady boasts about 25 houses, but on market day, the population must swell to thousands. There are a couple of hundred vendors, not to mention all the shoppers.

Mostly the market provides locally grown fruits and vegetables. But you can also buy home-baked cookies and pies, organic honey, antiques, CDs, clothes and Raleigh products.

The most fun of all, is the cattle. There is a cattle auction every market day. Today, the cows were making so much noise as I walked past the barn , that the only word that could come close to describing it is cacophony. (Always wanted to use that word)

The sign on the barn was hilarious. What the heck are dollar calves?

And of course, I have told you all this to delay telling you about the pitiable progress on Loden Mist. Two inches up, one back down seems to be the way of it. My sister-in-law told me once that one should always ask oneself " Am I having fun yet?" Boy, I'm not sure what my answer would be when I am tinking back on Loden. But I had a great time at the market.

1 comment:

EL said...

I never thought about the market. I should have gone too. I only made it there once early in the year. I heard it has gotten ridiculously big. Maybe I'll try to make it there next week. Thanks for the idea.
Take care
EL