Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Another Great Day

My knitting fortunes are raining down on me.

Not only did I spend Saturday surrounded by yarn, in-store designs and long-time knitting friends, but Monday I did the same. 

Years ago, when I first set myself up with a home computer, there was such an Internet beast as newsgroups.  I belonged to a knitting newsgroup and one day there was a message from a knitter in nearby St. Marys.  She was my age - about -  married, as am I and a knitter. Despite dire warnings (from my children)  about the types of people that lurk on the 'net'  I didn't think I could get into too much trouble with a knitter.   I contacted her.

We agreed to meet.  Marlene brought along another knitting friend - her kids had given her those same warnings -  and the rest as they say is history.  A trio-of-knitting-friends  history.

Then, life  intervened.  Marlene lost her husband suddenly and retreated from life for awhile.  I moved away.  But thank goodness for the fibre that binds a knitting friendship.  This summer, Marlene came to  visit and yesterday I returned the favour, visiting her in her beautiful new home St. Mary's.

Lots of laughs.  Lots of food.  lots of fibre, lots of  patterns and knitting stories. Such fun.

Not to be maudlin, but I would be remiss if I didn't tell you that the light bulb went on to remind me of how rich my life is because of knitting.  Two recent, fabulous days - all because I like to knit.

3 comments:

Sel and Poivre said...

Well you have been on quite a yarny tear haven't you! And then we get to vicariously enjoy it along with you Fun! Fun! Fun for everyone all around!

Needles said...

A TV commentator on the local global station said in a wee aside at the end of a news cast something about 'I should learn to knit. Then I would really have no life' I thought about that and was a bit insulted, but she did not in anyway speak about anyone but herself. But I sure would love to be able to tell her how much richer my life has become since I started knitting. I am wealthy in knitting friends.

Yarn and Ivories said...

Totally true! I love teaching knitting. Even though I see frustration at some level, they keep smiling and coming back for more!! Love it...