Following that failure, I went pattern diving in my extensive collection and came up with a pattern I initially knit probably 25 years ago.
The pattern called for several different yarns. Knit side to side, the multiple yarns created a very interesting, vertically striped sweater. Since Crofter has it's own variety of colours, I didn't need any other yarns to give it that vertical look. Here is my version. Instead of Contrasts, I think I should call mine, Contrarian.
Yarn: Sirdar Crofter, DK Weight
Needles: 4.5 for the body and 3.75 for the trim. A bigger than called for needle because - well, can't really remember my thinking there but that is what I did.
1) I knit the bottom trim at the same time as the sweater by doing a series of 2 rows garter, 2 rows stockinet.
2)I added short rows to give more
3)The ruffled edging is a result of several other types of edging giving me the frights. I finally chose this ruffle one,
4) Knit to pattern, the underarm area had lots of fabric. Too much for my liking. Once all seams had been sewn, I re-sewed a deeper, second seam under the arm to get rid of some of the excess.
Not a highly technical cardi, but after so many trials and errors with Contrasts, I am completely satisfied to have a wearable piece - finally finished.