Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Terrific Late Summer Trio

This afternoon, I am spending my time doing three of my favourite things:  canning, knitting and baseball.

Late summer in Ontario brings out the pioneer in me.  Well, the partial pioneer.  I am not willing to let go of my dishwasher or my modern, non-wood burning stove.  But otherwise, like the women of times past, I 'put down'  at this time of year.  It starts with a trip to the market,

followed by a very messy kitchen and in the end, things like this.
 Peach Jam
 9 Day Pickles

And while I stir down this year's batch of chili sauce,

I will try to finish  mitten number two for Ruby's kits

while watching my Blue Jays.

 Early game yet, but look at that score.  Doesn't look good.

3 comments:

Sandra said...

I've got to get some pickles made this year!!
And maybe put up some tomatoes as well...
But to find the time...

Yarn and Ivories said...

No putting up for me! Or putting down. I know it's worth it... but something I haven't done in years. You GO GIRL!

Stephanie said...

I really wish I could do kitchen stuff like that. I'd love to have a taste of summer in the middle of winter - especially tomatoes! I don't think I've had my fill of tomatoes yet (and I am too lazy to go to the market again this week :()