Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Knitters Everywhere

Toronto, a city where I know very few people, has knitters everywhere. Or so it seemed to me.

Friday night of our weekend jaunt to the big city, I finally met a knitter I had previously known only cyberly. Kim, is a knitter I met online through her now defunct blog, Curliegirl. Once I learned that Kim not only knits but runs, I introduced her - cyberly speaking - to my cousin the maniac marathoner. They since have become good friends, running marathons together throughout North America. Sadly, Km is now so busy running that she no longer blogs. I miss her blog.

Cousin Chuck, a die-hard Johnny Reid fan, brought Kim to the concert as his guest, just so I could meet her. Thanks, Chuck. Kim and I grabbed adjoining seats and talked knitting during the entire concert between songs.

Saturday afternoon, with a few spare minutes between Danny Marks and The Happy Pals, I dragged son Peter to Romni Wools. There, a lady stopped me to ask "Are you Brenda? Brenda from Meaford?"

Turns out, it was Nan. Nan and her hubby are retiring to our area next spring. Searching for local knitters, she came across me on ravelry and - cyberly speaking - introduced herself to me there. Nan, I must say, has her priorities in the correct knitterly order. Months before she moves in, she is lining up a knit group to join. Well, Nan, have I got a group for you. Nan said she recognized me from my picture on the blog. People, it pays to never change your hairstyle!

What fun! The www has certainly made it easy to make and meet knitting friends. Knitters everywhere. Just the way I like it.

6 comments:

Yarn and Ivories said...

That is so COOL! Anyone coming to NM?

Stephanie said...

I haven't met anyone offline that I first met through blogs yet, but I look forward to the time that I do! The greatest thing about the Internet is how easy it is to meet new people through it.

Needles said...

One of the things in my bucket list, if I had a bucket list, would be to get out east to meet you and your entire knitting circle. It's been wonderful to feel so connected.

Zieknits said...

I'm with Nan. A fun, active knit group is a must-have priority in the relocation process. :)

LaurieM said...

In my house we call it the knitternet. :-)

Kim/Curlie Girl said...

It was such a treat to finally meet you in person! I had a lovely evening with you, and will gladly "chat" through another concert...lol!

My blog is back, and I will do my best to keep updating it with all of my adventures.

Glad you had a great week-end in the big city. I look forward to seeing you again...