Monday, August 17, 2009

Travel Attire

If you have been a blog reader since last summer, you will know that I obsess a bit about travel attire. Blame it on Fred. Never a person to be confused with someone who cares about fashion - or even, for that matter, what he looks like (he being the man of the bleached-spotted workers tuxedo) - Fred nonetheless thinks we should dress well for travel.
His theory is that well dressed travellers get better service at gas stations. Yep, that's it.
In our 42 years of marriage, I can't tell you how many times, as Fred has been about to walk out the door on his way to a social event, I have grabbed him by the belt loop and yanked him back into the house for a re-dress. But as I say - slow learner, me. I haven't yet thought to play the 'gas-station card'.
"Darling, when we go to the gala celebration next week, could we stop for gas along the way?"
All this is my way of telling you about my current knitting project. I am knitting my travel attire. Yes travel is planned for next Wednesday - the 19th, but I think I can make it.
I am knitting a pattern from this magazine.
This cotton top. Well rather,

this cotton top.
And such is the effect of a long marriage that I truly believe with this caramel-coloured, lacey, cotton, summer top over a white cami, worn with white capri pants, our gas station service will - as they say in the corporate world - exceed our expectations. Perfect travel attire.




3 comments:

Sel and Poivre said...

Our kids always tease us about our travel attire - especially when we travel by plane. They think we're way to dressed up - but then I wear heels to the mall- another source of much teasing!

BTW you are a lace knitting machine!

LaurieM said...

Getting dressed up for the gas station? That's a new one to me!

Zieknits said...

Yes, it's very important to impress that stubble-chinned, year-round-toque-wearing, droopy-trousered, slouching yout' who shuffles out to pump one's gas!

Lovely top, though. ;-)