Friday, April 24, 2009

The World's Best

Last weekend, as I mentioned here, Fred and I were on a road trip. We went to London, our home for 25 years, to visit friends. But no trip to London is complete without a stop at the 'World's Best' workplace- London Yarns.

Shortly after retiring from my real, stressful, full time, it's-just-a-living job, I stopped into London Yarns one day, to pick up a ball of sock yarn. Janet, the store owner, was chatting to another customer, explaining how desperate she was for part time help. One of her staff had quit to go back to school full time. Another's husband had taken a transfer and they had moved away from London. Eavesdropping through the entire conversation, I experienced an epiphany.
"I knit. I know sales. I could do this!!!!"

And that is how this lady
became my boss for five years. I called her (and still do call her) 'World's Best Boss.'

The store, of course, looked great.

I was impressed with this unique way to display buttons and shawl pins.

And it was wonderful seeing one of my co-workers
to get caught up on all her knitting adventures.

Janet must have been doing some housecleaning as she sent me home with memories. Some display items I had knit for the store.

Zebra Socks


Watermelon Socks


Easy Peasy Shawl


And lesson plans and teacher's notes for classes I had taught.

I took a deep breath. It was great to just sniff the atmosphere. No surprise that yarns stores are the 'World's Best' places to work. Even the air is the 'World's Best'.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like a great place to work!

freshisle said...

What a lovely place! And especially lovely that she had saved all of your things.