Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Abi's Bolero

Did you think I had forgotten to post about Abi's bolero?
It's one sleeve short of a full bolero at the moment. Hopefully, by tomorrow, it will be done - not blocked, but done - in time to take it to knit group. After all, a girl's got to have some feed back occasionally.

I used this pattern, shortening both the sleeves and the overall length. The lace pattern on the body was easily memorized, but this &%@*&# little, pointy, lace border
almost drove me crazy. I am ashamed to tell you how many times I ripped back the first few points.
I was about to call my DIL in tears to wail " I can't do this". But, that thought made me so angry - not to mention feeling old! - that I dug in. Writing out the pattern on a piece of paper sometimes seems to cement the instructions in my brain, so I tried that. About 4 writings later, I got it! By then I was half way around the edge, so it might have had something to do with the repetition. Now on to the second sleeve and then it's done.

Once blocked, I will re-post about it, showing the rat's nest before and the beautiful, lace bolero after shots. Then off to Hearst it goes in lots of time for the first communion on Mothers' Day. DIL Kim will send modelled shots after the big event.

1 comment:

LaurieM said...

Chalk up persistence as a perk of age and experience. I've notice that youth gives up easily.