Monday, May 5, 2008

Cumberland

On the recommendation of the Fun Knits clerk, the next day we headed to Cumberland to check out the yarn shop.

Most of what you see on Vancouver Island happens within a kilometre or two of the eastern coast of the island. Another half K to the west and you have impenetrable forest.

Surprising then, was the turn off to Cumberland. We headed due West - into that impenetrable forest. Cumberland, off the beaten path, originally a mining town, is a small town. For the life of me, I couldn't imagine the degree of knitting passion it would take to make someone open a yarn store in Cumberland. With a limited population base and virtually no through traffic, where would the customers come from?

But, what a lovely shop! Big, bright, spacious, well-stocked and with a great line up of classes. The shop name escapes me, but if you are ever driving up the Vancouver Island highway and see the sign for Cumberland, just turn left. The main street is a couple of blocks long and the shop is right in the middle of town.
Did I buy anything? Really!
This is Roxy by Wendy. Wool, Rayon, and Polyester. I have two balls at 55 metres each. Another - 'I don't know what I will do with it' purchase. But again the orange, green colour caught my eye.

Then off to C0urtney, just up the highway. The must-see shop there was Uptown Yarns.
Another lovely shop with lots of garments on display. One of which was a great sweater in Aubergine. The pattern was out stock, but they gladly ordered me one and charged me nothing for postage. It arrived a few days after we returned home. Another one for my 'to do' list.

This is Sirdar # 8957, made with a DK weight yarn. The entire right hand side is horizontal ribbing.

There ended the yarn shop tour. With one happy knitter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That picture of you is priceless! Like 'a kid in a candy shop' or should I say... 'like a knitter in a yarn shop'
PA