Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A Bad Start

My day got off to a bad start. I had to get out of bed way earlier than normal. But worse than that, my morning coffee was delayed. A big mug of hot coffee is how I start every day. I'm addicted. Without it, my day is off to a bad start.

This morning, though, I had to go for blood work. Just routine. A follow-up to my physical last week. But blood work demands a fast. And the fast meant no early-morning coffee.

I wanted that coffee as soon as possible, so decided I would be first in line when the lab opened at 7. That meant I had to do another thing I dislike doing - set the alarm. One of the great things about retired life is not having to set the alarm. But in this case, the addiction won out, and the alarm was set.

I figured 15 minutes before opening would be early enough to secure the number-one spot. But at 6:45 when I rounded the corner in the hall to the lab, I saw 4 others already there. Wow! There must be a lot of serious caffeine addicts in my town.

The doors opened exactly at 7. Friendly, efficient staff greeted us. Of course, it would be silly to be other-than-friendly, with a room full of caffeine-starved patients carrying containers filled with their urine sample.

At 7:20, I was back in my car. At 7:25, I was drinking a 'Medium Black' at Timmy's.

Back home, I was able to have a second cup. Fred, lovingly, had made a full pot for my return. It was especially nice of him, considering that at 6:30 he had been wakened by a loud noise. Heart thumping, he raced to the kitchen, thinking an appliance was blowing up, only to realize it was the garage door closing as I drove out.

Now, time to knit.

No comments: