Monday, August 26, 2013

Summer's End

Summer 2013 was a wash.  Literally.  Hearst saw  days on end of rain - some days set rainfall records.  We swam less often, boated less often, stuck our heads out the door less often.

And so  --   we came home early.  Back to routine by mid-August, I expected.  But my laptop apparently didn't like the ride home as it died somewhere between here and there.    Home we were, but routine would have to wait until the computer got fixed. In the meantime, we took a little trip.


We did the Southern Ontario circuit, visiting all the people we had not seen over the summer.  We went to see Dad, a BIL celebrating his 65th and long time friends.  And on the way there were yarn stores. Unplanned stops, but as the meandering drive took us into certain towns,  I had some 'HEY' moments.  Hey.  St.Thomas.  This is where  The Little Red Mitten shop is. 

The Little Red Mitten in St. Thomas is a store that opened shortly after we left nearby London to retire in Thornbury.  I hear lots about it from friends who still live in the area and follow  it's story on the 'net'.  Until last week, I had never been in.  What a great store.
 
 

A lovely inviting entrance and if yarn shopping isn't touristy enough for you, the shop is located across the street from St.Thomas' other claim to fame - the statue of Jumbo The Elephant.

 
The shop is just lovely.  Big, neat and  clean. When I yarn shop as a tourist, I always like to buy something that will remind me of my trip.  Joan, the shop's owner, had just the thing.  One of a kind, in-store, shawl patterns she calls Talbot Trail Shawls.
 And yarn  dyed especially for the shop by not-far-away Zen Gardens.
 
This colourway is called Springwater Conservation, named after a local picnic spot.  Zen Gardens, from Sarnia area, came to St. Thomas, took the picture then dyed the yarn to match the picture, exclusively for Little Red Mitten.  Local pattern.  Local yarn.  What  a good, touristy purchase. 

 One shawl is nice but two - especially with this Berrocco sparkle yarn - well, how good is that?


The next day, the 'HEY' moment came as we drove up Hwy 23.  Accustomed to taking a short cut to bypass the town of Listowel,  I said "Hey, if we don't take the shortcut, we can go through Listowel where Sprinrite is having their annual tent sale."
 
There I practised great restraint and purchased only enough yarn for one sweater.
 
This is Paton's Classic Wool prepared especially for the sale in big  (400 g)  balls.  At $12 per ball,  the price was sure right. My plan for this is a pattern I purchased last spring from Riverside Yarns in Owen Sound.

 A simple sweater with the only detail being on the collar.   Most likely a machine knitting project. 

Summer,  all our driving, all our  family visits - all  done.  My computer repaired.  Regular blogging statrted today.  Back to routine.  Summer is over.













 

2 comments:

Needles said...

Boy do I know what you mean. There was no summer here. I await next year.

Yarn and Ivories said...

OH OH OH OH !! I want to go to ST. Thomas.... The Little Red Mitten - THEE most inviting place! How far from the border?