It is one long in my queue and I am pleased to have it in a wearable versus ball-of-wool state.
Pattern: My Valentine by Elizabeth McCarten.
Yarn: Patons Classic Wool. Purchased a couple of years ago at the Listowel Yarns tent sale held every summer in August. Specially for the sale, they package Patons Classic (normally sold in 100 g balls) in 400 g balls. The year I purchased mine, the 'big ball' was priced at $12. Equal to about one third the normal retail. I bought two big balls and used one and about a third of the second ball. Cost of the sweater? About $15.
Needles: Although the pattern suggested - and I did start that way - a bigger than normal needle size to give the sweater 'drape', in the end I used a 4.5mm, a standard size for worsted weight yarn.
Mods: Not many. The pattern is well written and easy to follow. I did choose not to put the cable pattern down the back. For some reason, while centre front cables seem decorative to me, a stripe of centre- back cable always seem like a target.
I say not many mods, but truth is, I guess I am not really sure. This is a top-down knit and as always with that type of construction, I use the pattern to get started with the suggested number of cast on stitches - and in this case the cable instructions - but after that, I knit to fit.
I like a moderately snug underarm on my raglan sweaters. With top-down knits it is easy to keep trying it on until the underarm is exactly as desired. Remembering too, that it is meant for me - a woman - I stopped increasing a couple of inches shy of desired circumference, then divided sleeves from body. Once divided, I supplied the sweater with those two missing inches through bust darts. A simple line of increases that stretch from underarm towards the bust.
The trim, the same at neck, bottom and sleeve cuffs, is a row of purl, a row of knit and a cast off in purl. A neat and tidy, small trim. I did mine with the same 4.5 needle as used for the body.
I like it.