Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Land Of Plenty.

We are  lucky to live in an area of great farm land that provides plenty of produce this time of year.  This   morning we woke before dawn to make  an early trip to the weekly farmer's market.  I needed canning supplies.

I purchased half a bushel of plum tomatoes for pasta sauce
3/4 bushel of regular beefsteak tomatoes for chili sauce and salsa
dill, beans and cukes  for pickled beans and dill pickles
plus all the extras - jalapeno peppers, red peppers, green peppers, garlic, onions, celery etc  etc etc.

Here you see my sweet pickles on day 8 of their 12 day process. 
 
They have just been rinsed so as not to disgust you.  After 8 days in salt water, they look pretty gross. I have a friend who calls them 'scummy' pickles because of the gross scumminess of the 8 day old water.  Another who calls them 'bug' pickles because her batch last year attracted fruit flies - a little meat with her pickles.  Home canning!

I am reminded of a childhood rhyme

A canner exceedingly canny
One morning remarked  to his Granny
"A canner can can
Anything a canner can can
But a canner can't can a can, can he?"

May your day involve 'plenty'.





 
 



3 comments:

Sigrun said...

You should come and shop in my garden. The price is right. Pickled beets to be made here next week. Beans and swiss chard to freeze.

Sandra said...

I'm not sure I"m going to get to my canning this year - too bad - I'm out of pickles and sauce, but I'm also out of time...

Anonymous said...

You had fun!
This year I decided to grow tomatoes in some EarthBoxes in my backyard and decided to learn how to can. So yesterday I had FUN! Imagine..me learning how to can at 64!!!
teresa_a