Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Two At Once

Not normally a two-at-once knitter, January appears to be my exception month.  With so many bags of yarn waiting to be knit up, I'm anxious to start them all.  Knowing that to be a bit ambitious, even for me, I have started just two.  My KAL Pumpkin Pie sweater and now my Noro vest.


Using this pattern as a starting point I intend to not knit the sleeves and knit only a vest.  That means - I think - starting at the underarm and knitting in circles increasing at two points.  One increase spot forms the front mitre, the other the back.

This pattern was an impulse purchase and perhaps it's unfair to judge before knitting it, but it seems a bit 'hoky'.    It has a very home-made look to it - the charm, for some, I'm sure.  Me, I appreciate clarity and efficiency.  Just tell me where the starting line is - I'll figure out the rest myself.

With that approach, it wasn't immediately clear,  to me, about anything when I read the pattern.  Especially since I intend to begin in the middle.  But I think I've found my starting point.  Mind you, my gauge isn't what the pattern calls for, so I've had to re-do that too.

Here's my cast on and a few rounds of ribbing to keep the armholes under control. 
 
When I set this down for the night I really thought it called for a re-do. But this morning, it doesn't look too bad. I'll give it a time out and then re-assess.

2 comments:

LaurieM said...

It sorta looks like a baby surprise jacket.

Laurie said...

It does look like a surprise jacket. Can't wait to see how it progresses.