Friday, October 1, 2010

Steeked!

The steeking is done - and - it is crocheted. One defeat per sweater is enough. The steek, unlike the short rows in fair isle proved to be successful.

The next question is - do I like it? I'm not sure.
When a steek is machine sewn, there is little bulk. But the line of crochet on this steek seems thick - certain to 'show' through on the right side of the sweater when folded to the inside.

Removing the line of crochet and exchanging it for a line of stitch-catching machine sewing is still an option. My steek was 5 stitches wide so there is room. I have already picked up stitches on one side of the sweater for the i-cord trim, as you can see. If I want to do the machine stitching, it would be easier to do it before the i-cord is complete. Perhaps a weekend time out is required. For such a nice sweater it sure sees a lot of time in the penalty box.

And a Tech Tip thanks. One of my readers - and I'm sorry I don't remember who it was - gave me great detailed instructions on how to convert from bloglines to google reader. I am happy to report that I DID IT!! Thanks so much. Not a single posting was lost.

2 comments:

Joansie said...

Sweater looks great. Time outs are not bad....time for reflection.

So, I've been using Google Reader. Yesterday, I started receiving notices about some of my blog subscriptions (about six of them) and am concerned they are going the way of the others. (sigh) http://googlereader.blogspot.com/2010/09/turning-off-track-changes-feature.html

I read further on the web and it appears that there is that segment that thinks that RSS feeds (blogs) are passe...that Facebook and Twitter is the way to go......but not for me, thank you.

Christy J said...

Your EZ sweater is looking great. I really like the pattern. I've only done one small steek before and I used machine stitching. The crocheted steek looks nice and neat to me. Did you use the same yarn as the sweater? Could you have used a finer yarn to make it less bulky? That works for seaming.