Almost two years ago now, I knit Elizabeth Zimmermann's Green Sweater.
It was my 2010 Olympic project. Interesting construction, especially the sleeves. Knit top down with the decrease line running down the centre - on the top, not under arm side- of the sleeve.
There had always been a bit of a bump - a wing - as the sleeve neared the shoulder seam.
I blocked it away but it came back. Each time I wore the sweater, I would furiously try to hand-press it away, but it always came back.
With that little bump bothering me, I found I wasn't wearing 'Green' very often. What good is a sweater on the shelf? The wing, I was sure could be fixed and this morning, I took the plunge. Pinning out the extra fabric from the inside,
then basting it from the inside confirmed for me that I would like the look better without the wing.
Turning the sweater back to the right side, I worked a mattress stitch seam up the sleeve. Beginning about half way up with a narrow seam, widening the seam as I approached the shoulder, then decreasing it sharply again in the last inch or so before the shoulder seam. What a difference.
No more 'wings'. Of course I'd rather spend my knitting time on 'new' knits. But sometimes re-newed works too. De-winged, 'Green' now has a date with the ladies for lunch tomorrow.
This sweater is on my to-do list. I'm intrigued by the construction also.
An awesome fix! Good for you.
That looks great and I bet it feels great too...I always love tweaking a knit after wearing it for a while!
Nice Save. Definitely worth the time and effort.
Post a Comment