On yesterday's blog post, I mentioned ripping back the Baby Surprise Jacket because I had the wrong number of stitches. This mis-counting seems to be happening too often here at Harris House.
With the BSJ, once I arrived at 158 stitches in total, I was supposed to - according to Elizabeth's instructions - carry on working the centre 90 stitches No problem - except I had only 85 in the centre with 34 on each end. 34 plus 90 plus 34 makes 158. But 34 plus 85 plus 34 doesn't. Obviously I had forgotten to make a few increases. Rip.
A row or two might do it. I hoped. Several rows back, I realized I could go on ripping until the beginning and never discover where I had gone wrong. Best just to 'fudge' it. Fudging now in process.
Today, I opened ravelry for my next 'Contiguous' Assignment. Checking the homework page first, I noticed the stitch count given after completing Row 12.
Row 12 Purl row.
increase before one marker and after the next, x 2 = 4 increases = 68 sts
68 stitches. Hmmm. I've completed Row 12. Maybe I should just count - to make sure.
73 on my needles. Dang! Guess I'll be ripping a few of those rows too.
Really, I think - in fact I know - I can count. What I can't do is count and be cocky a the same time. That must take a really good knitter.